On August 3, 2015, Financial Affairs will implement two procedures in response to the recently-updated UC travel policy. They cover the 45-day travel expense submission requirement and the handling of approved, frequent business travel between distant UCSC locations:
- TAXATION OF TRAVEL EXPENSE REIMBURSEMENT REQUESTS SUBMITTED MORE THAN 45 DAYS AFTER THE CONCLUSION OF TRAVEL
The reimbursement of business travel expenses submitted to the FAST Office more than 45 days after the conclusion of travel is subject to IRS tax reporting and withholding, and will be processed by Financial Affairs as follows:
- Any justification for submitting the Post-Travel Expense form after the deadline will be reviewed to determine if there is a valid reason that would preclude tax withholding.
- If a valid reason does not exist and this is the traveler's first request submitted past the deadline, tax will not be withheld. However, the traveler will receive a reminder of the 45-day submission requirement and a warning that tax will be withheld on the next travel expense reimbursement request submitted past the deadline.
- This provision does not apply to reimbursements of travel expenses incurred for frequent, approved travel between distant UCSC facilities. Refer to 2. below for more information.
- APPROVED, FREQUENT BUSINESS TRAVEL BETWEEN DISTANT UCSC LOCATIONS
Approved travel expenses incurred as a result of frequent, routine business travel between distant UCSC facilities during a calendar quarter may be submitted as a single travel expense reimbursement request. The travel purpose and the date of each trip, points of travel, and mileage must be reported on the Post-Travel Expense form or on an attachment sheet. The Post-Travel Expense form must be submitted to the FAST Office within 30 calendar days after the end of the quarter. Quarters end on March 31, June 30, September 30, and December 31. Expense reimbursement requests submitted after the deadline will be subject to tax withholding.
The Financial Affairs Travel Guide
has been updated to reflect this information.