Navigate Up
Sign In
Click to show/hide contact information.


Facility Rental or Lease Payment Guide

This guide provides information about the facility rental and lease payment process.

The campus may engage in renting facilities for University business purposes on a short- or long-term basis. A facility owner will require the payment of a use fee in return for permission to use the facility. In certain situations, the campus may find it necessary to enter into a long-term lease with the facility owner in order to meet University business needs.​​​

Expand or contract all step headings
increase font size Decrease Font Size
 magnifying glassDelete Circle
  • Before you start

    Important information to know:

    1. Special conditions. Be aware of the following special conditions applying to this type of transaction.
      • A facility or space rental of 30 days or less is arranged through the issuance of a purchase order.
      • A short-term facility or space rental exceeding 30 days may require a business contract and should be coordinated through the Business Contracts Office.
      • A long-term real estate property lease is arranged through the Real Estate Office.
    2. Advance payment. In many instances, the property owner will require payment in advance; refer to the appendices for information about making an advance payment.
    3. Avoid conflicts of interest. Refer to the appendices for information covering employee-vendor conflict of interest issues.
    4. Tax information. Payments may only be made to recipients with a Social Security Number or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). Use IRS Form W-7 Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number to apply for an ITIN number.
    5. Payment form. If this is the first time the recipient will be receiving a UCSC non-payroll payment, complete a Payee Setup 204 form.

    Back to Top
  • Ways to pay

    A Pro-Card may only be used to purchase printing services from UCSC Printing Services. Purchases from any other vendor must be procured through CruzBuy. For more information about CruzBuy and the purchase order process, see Procurement Resources.

    • A direct payment cannot be made to the vendor.
    • Out-of-pocket payment for this type of good or service will not be reimbursed.

    Back to Top
  • Receipt and documentation requirements

    The original invoice must be submitted in order for a payment to be made to the vendor.

    • The invoice must separately itemize the facility rental charge from other billed costs, such as equipment usage fees, charges for other tangible property provided, or the catering of meals.
      • The invoice should indicate if the charge is for the rental of the facility or space only.
    • Email the FAST/AP Office at authorizing payment when the original purchase order amount is exceeded by $100 to $499.99.
    • Submit a change order request through CruzBuy for payments of $500 or more over the original purchase order amount.

    Back to Top
  • Applicable sales and use tax

    Sales tax applies to the portion of a rental payment applicable to the use of equipment or other tangible property provided by the property owner.

    • If a single amount is charged on the invoice, then the entire amount is subject to sales and use tax in either one of the following situations.
      • If the amount charged includes the use of equipment or other tangible property, or
      • If the amount charged includes the catering of meals.
      • Catered light refreshments provided by the property owner are not subject to sales and use tax.
    • Refer to the appendices for more information about sales and use tax

    Back to Top
  • Common oversights

    Speed up getting a payment processed by avoiding these common oversights.

    • Forgetting to provide the recipient’s social security number or individual taxpayer identification number.
    • Forgetting to request a change order from the Purchasing Office when the amount to be paid will exceed the amount allowed on the Purchase Order.
    • Forgetting to submit a Payee Setup 204 form for a first-time reimbursement or payment recipient.

    Back to Top
  • UC Procedure Reference

    Back to Top
  • Where to get help

    Assistance is available for the following topics:

    • Purchase order, change order, and Employee-Vendor Conflict of Interest Evaluation Form-related questions:
    • Business contracts: contact:
    • Real estate-related contracts: Real Estate Office
    • For all other questions please contact the FAST/AP Help line at 459-4488 or locate your representative directly.>

    Back to Top
  • Relevant Appendices

    Back to Top
There are no results.
University of California
UC Santa Cruz, 1156 High Street, Santa Cruz, Ca 95064
©2021 Regents of the University of California. All Rights Reserved.
Site Feedback