Navigate Up
Sign In
Click to show/hide contact information.


Rented Items Payment Guide

This guide provides general information about the process used to pay for rented items, such as videotapes and discs, motion pictures, mailing lists, and meeting and event equipment.

Rented items are procured through a CruzBuy purchase order. Information on how to do this is available from Procurement Services. ​​​

Expand or contract all step headings
increase font size Decrease Font Size
 magnifying glassDelete Circle
  • Before you start

    Important information to know:

    • Avoid conflicts of interest: Refer to the appendices for information covering employee-vendor conflict of interest issues.
    • Tax information: Payments may only be made to recipients with a Social Security Number or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). Use IRS Form W-7 Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number to apply for an ITIN number.
    • Payment: If this is the first time the recipient will be receiving a UCSC non-payroll payment, complete a Payee Setup 204 form.

    Back to Top
  • Ways to pay

    This type of expense is procured through CruzBuy. For more information about CruzBuy and the purchase order process, see Procurement Resources

    • The Campus Purchasing Card may be used to pay for rental goods.
    • A direct payment cannot be made to the vendor.
    • Out-of-pocket payment for this type of good or service will not be reimbursed.

    Back to Top
  • Applicable sales and use tax

    The chart below summarizes important sales tax information related to payments made for rented items:

    Type of Rented Item CA Sales Tax?
    Chemical toilets Yes
    Equipment, miscellaneous Yes
    Mailing list, multiple-use Yes
    Mailing list, single-use restriction No
    Mailing services Yes
    Motion picture films and video tapes, including television films and video tapes Yes
    Party supply Yes
    Video cassettes, videotapes, videodisc Yes

    Back to Top
  • Common oversights

    Speed up getting a payment processed by avoiding these common oversights.

    • Forgetting to provide the recipient’s social security number or individual taxpayer identification number.
    • Forgetting to request a change order from the Purchasing Office when the amount to be paid will exceed the amount allowed on the Purchase Order.
    • Forgetting to submit a Payee Setup 204 form for a first-time reimbursement or payment recipient.

    Back to Top
  • UC Procedure Reference

    Back to Top
  • Where to get help

    Assistance is available for the following topics:

    Back to Top
  • Relevant Appendices

    Back to Top
There are no results.
University of California
UC Santa Cruz, 1156 High Street, Santa Cruz, Ca 95064
©2022 Regents of the University of California. All Rights Reserved.
Site Feedback