Navigate Up
Sign In
Click to show/hide contact information.


Supplier Guide

This guide provides information for suppliers providing goods and services to the university. For information regarding the addition of new suppliers by campus employees please see the Purchasing Process Guide.
Expand or contract all step headings
increase font size Decrease Font Size
 magnifying glassDelete Circle
  • Before You Start

    In order to provide fair, open and efficient opportunities for all companies interested in doing business with the University of California, we ask all potential suppliers to pre-qualify for any bidding or supplier activity. We can use the information provided to track supplier activity, to measure progress against goals for small business outreach efforts, to shorten the administrative timeline toward a mutually beneficial agreement, and to monitor compliance with required state and federal codes.

    We welcome inquiries from all companies interested in becoming a supplier to the university. Please see the following for more information:

    All suppliers should enroll in CalUsource, UCSC's bidding system. See Registering for Bid Events for more details. In addition, all contractors and subcontractors intending to bid or perform work on University public works projects must also register (and annually renew) as a Prevailing Wage Contractor. See Prevailing Wage Requirements for more details.

    Procurement Services does not maintain a contact list or participate in the marketing of products to campus. Units on campus research and decide on purchases on their own. If suppliers want to market to a unit they will need to contact them directly.

    All UCSC contracts are subject to UCSC's Terms and Conditions. Please read these conditions and understand that they are a requirement for all suppliers accepting University contracts.

    Back to Top
  • Purchasing Process Information

    CruzBuy is UCSC's e-procurement tool for managing the campus's buy-to-pay needs. As a supplier, UCSC may approach you with one of 3 different types of authorized purchase transactions:

    • Purchase orders (CruzBuy) processed by authorized individuals throughout the campus
    • Purchase orders (CruzBuy) processed by the Procurement Services staff
    • Procurement Card (Procard) which is a VISA card used by authorized staff and faculty

    Contracts for goods and services are primarily awarded by conducting informal/formal competition, using strategically sourced UC systemwide agreements, or negotiated pricing. Questions about the UCSC purchasing process should be submitted to:

    Procurement and Supply Chain Services - (831) 459-2311

    Hours: UCSC Procurement Services is open from 8:00 a.m. to noon and 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, with the exception of legal and University holidays. We encourage suppliers to make appointments during business hours.

    Back to Top
  • Becoming a Supplier

    To be added to the supplier database, please follow these instructions:

    • Complete registration within the UC CalUsource portal. This will give your company access and exposure to all UC system-wide RFx bid events. To register, see CalUsource.
    • Market and promote your goods and services to UCSC departments who may have a specific need. Once a purchase requisition is submitted to Procurement Services, a Payee Setup 204 form will be requested to be completed by your company.

    Direct any questions to:
    Procurement and Supply Chain Services - (831) 459-2311

    Back to Top
  • University of California Public Bid Site

    To meet the growing strategic sourcing demands of the University of California-Office of the President and all ten campuses, UC has implemented the CalUsource tool. CalUsource replaces the "SRS" sourcing system which is no longer utilized at UC.

    CalUsource is a web-based tool, which allows suppliers to:

    • Register and manage company information for all UC campuses at one time;
    • View UC-wide Requests-For-Proposal (RFP), Requests-For-Quote (RFQ), Requests-For-Information (RFI) and Reverse Auctions;
    • Participate in UC sourcing events;
    • View UC Procurement Services events and news.

    To get more information or to view and respond to a bid opportunity, see CalUsource.

    Please note that registering in CalUsource only offers suppliers the opportunity to participate in the bidding process. Registration does not guarantee that suppliers will receive all bidding opportunities nor does it in any way promise contract awards.

    Back to Top
  • Small Businesses

    It is the policy of the University of California, consistent with State and Federal Law, to provide opportunities for business contracting with small business enterprises in the areas of purchasing and other professional services provided to the University.

    UCSC Purchasing works to assure equality of opportunity for small business enterprises, including small disadvantaged, women-owned and disabled veteran business enterprises, and to ensure fair opportunities for placement of purchase orders with such firms. The University uses the Federal definitions for business categories in all of its Federal and non-Federal outreach and reporting activities.

    See University of California Supplier Diversity website for further details.

    Back to Top
  • HubZone

    The Historically Underutilized Business Zone (HUBZone) is administered by the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) and was designed to stimulate economic development and create jobs in urban and rural communities by providing Federal contracting preferences to small businesses. The HUBZone applies to qualified small businesses (by SBA standards) located within the zone’s boundaries with at least 35% of their employees residing in a HUBZone.

    Back to Top
  • UC Insurance Requirements

    The university requires its contractors (also known as vendors and suppliers) to have insurance and to provide Certificates of Insurance (certificates) to the university.

    Minimum Insurance Requirements:

    University Policy

    The information above represents the minimum insurance requirements. Based on a specific procurement or activity, additional insurance may be necessary. Common additional coverage requirements are for Professional Liability, Pollution or Environmental Liability and Liquor Legal Liability as determined based on the specific procurement or activity. Coverage is often required in the amount of $1,000,000 but higher limits may be required.

    If assistance is needed, Campus Connexions can help contractors meet the university's insurance requirements:

    • Go to Campus Connexions
    • Go to "Constituencies" at the top of the webpage
    • From the drop-down menu choose "Vendors & Contractors"
    • < li>From the next drop-down menu choose "Vendor/Contractor Insurance Program"
    • If you have questions about obtaining insurance, contact CampusConnexions directly at 866-838-9536 or by email at

    Back to Top
  • Prevailing Wage Requirements


    California Senate Bill 854, was signed into law June 20, 2014, and became effective immediately. The bill established a new public works contractor registration program which will collect fees to fund compliance monitoring and enforcement, determine prevailing wage and public works coverage, and hear enforcement appeals.

    Public works refers to construction, alteration, demolition, installation, or repair work done under contract and paid in whole or in part out of public funds. For a full definition of public works refer to Labor Code section 1720.

    All contractors and subcontractors intending to bid or perform work on University public works projects, which do not meet the Small Works Exemption, will be required to register, and annually renew, online for the program. This is a DIR fee paid to the State. The University will not register a contractor, nor collect funds.

    Contractors or subcontractors submitting bids for public works projects which do not meet the Small Works Exemption must be registered. No bid can be accepted nor any contract or subcontract entered into nor purchase order issued without proof that the contractor or subcontractor is registered with the DIR.

    Effective immediately, Procurement Services will be required to complete a PCW-100 form alerting the DIR of the public works project and prevailing wage services that are being provided to the University which do not meet the Small Project Exemption.

    Small Project Exemption

    Contractors who work exclusively on small public works projects are not required to register as a public works contractor or file electronic certified payroll reports for those projects.

    However, prevailing wages must still be paid on projects with small project exemption, and contractors are still required to maintain certified payroll records on a continuous basis, and provide them to the Labor Commissioner’s Office upon request.

    Additionally, UCSC is not required to submit the notice of contract award through DIR’s PWC-100 system on projects that fall within the small project exemption. The small project exemption applies for all public works projects that do not exceed:

    • $25,000 for new construction, alteration, installation, demolition or repair
    • $15,000 for maintenance

    DIR has extensive information regarding public works requirements on its Public Works website, including instructions for contractors on how to register.

    Supplier Guidance

    The following supplier guidance is provided for efficiently contracting for University Public Works Projects, and in compliance with SB 854 Prevailing Wage reform.

    • You must be registered with the State Department of Industrial Relations (DIR) to bid or perform on non-exempt public work projects
    • To determine appropriate prevailing wage rates, check the Director's General Prevailing Wage Determinations list.
    • State on all public works and prevailing wage quotes/proposals to the University
      • Your CA Contractors License number
      • Your DIR Registration Number (If applicable)
      • DIR prevailing wage rates are being quoted for this Public Works quote/proposal
      • A detailed scope of the work to be performed is provided
    • If required, when the University awards a contract, the Procurement Services Buyer will file a DIR PWC-100 form and will include the DIR Project ID number on the Purchase Order
    • No contractor or subcontractor work is to start prior to a university purchase order being issued
    • The prevailing wage rate must be posted at the jobsite

    Additional Assistance

    Additional information can be found at The Department of Industrial Relations website. If you have questions regarding the internal procedures for UCSC Procurement Services, as they relate to public works, please contact our office.

    Back to Top
  • Deliveries

    Each purchase order specifies a delivery address and/or name and contact person for delivery information. A list of current ship-to addresses can be found on the Supplier Guide. If you arrive on campus and are unable to locate the specified delivery location, contact or visit UC Receiving, located in H Barn (see UCSC Campus Map). Hours of operation for Receiving are 8:00 am to 4:30 p.m. For assistance call (831) 459-2852.

    To minimize the risk of delaying payment by UCSC, always obtain a purchase order before you deliver any goods or provide any services to a campus unit.

    Approval from Procurement Services is required whenever you bring equipment valued at or over $10,000 to a campus unit for demonstration purposes or on a trial use basis.

    UCSC preferred delivery terms are: FOB Destination, freight prepaid.

    Back to Top
  • Invoices

    Mail or deliver invoices to the Billing Address specified on the first page of the purchase order.

    Indicate the purchase order number on the invoice. Vendors will be paid only following receipt of a conforming invoice, following the delivery of supplies or materials and/or completion of services.

    To ensure accurate payment to campus suppliers, UCSC will not pay invoices listing vendor information that does not match the associated purchase order. Submitting invoices listing vendor information that is different than referenced on the purchase order will delay payment and will require you to re-submit the invoice or update your business information in UCSC’s vendor database.

    Back to Top
  • Supplier Certification

    For tracking and reporting purposes only, the University relies upon vendors to register themselves. UCSC identifies its SBE, DBE, WBE and DVBE suppliers, as documented on the Payment Data Record STD 204 form.

    Small disadvantaged and women-owned businesses must be certified by the Small Business Administration (SBA) in order for the University to get credit for using them under federal contracts. Registration is free, and is accessible at the SBA Certification Website. (Obtaining certification is not in lieu of marketing to the campus.)

    Back to Top
  • Insurance Naming University Suppliers

    UC suppliers are required to maintain insurance and to provide certificates as established by the UCSC Risk Manager. Suppliers requiring proof that the university has insurance can request a certificate of self-insurance coverage from the University of California.

    Few campus positions have authority to sign agreements or contracts. Prior to providing a certificate, make certain that any agreement or contract has been properly reviewed and signed.

    • If seeking a certificate related to a procurement of a good or service, contact your Procurement Team or enter a CruzBuy requisition requesting the certificate.
    • If seeking a certificate related to land use or land access, first contact the Real Estate Office for assistance with the agreement or contract.
    • If seeking a certificate related to sponsored projects, first contact your Contracts and Grants Officer.

    After the contract or agreement has been properly reviewed and signed by one of these offices, then the University of California Certificate of Self-Insurance Coverage can be forwarded to the requesting party.

    Back to Top
  • Credit Application Requests

    Due to UCSC's well established credit rating, we will decline completing supplier credit application requests. When required, we are willing to provide our references and financial information which can be used to validate the excellent credit standing of the University of California.

    For more information, please contact

    Back to Top
  • Smoke and Tobacco Free Environment

    Smoke and Tobacco-Free effective January 2, 2014

    The University of California is committed to a healthy campus and workplace culture and environment. Effective January 2, 2014, the University of California is a Smoke and Tobacco-Free environment. Smoking and the use of smokeless tobacco products (e.g. e-cigarettes and other unregulated nicotine products) is strictly prohibited on all University of California-controlled properties, owned or leased and regardless of location. This policy is intended to provide a healthier, safer, and productive work and learning environment for the entire University of California community. For more information on the Smoke/Tobacco-Free Policy, please visit Smoke & Tobacco Free Environment. For more information on the President’s Mandate and other related resources, please visit Smoke & Tobacco Free Campus.

    Back to Top
  • Terms and Conditions

    The following terms and conditions shall govern all purchases of products and services by UCSC unless other terms are specifically designated by UCSC to apply or UCSC and supplier have entered into a Master Agreement or other written agreement. University of California Terms and Conditions applies to all transactions and is supplemented by the additional terms and conditions in the appendices listed below as applicable.

    Seller’s acceptance of a UCSC purchase order shall be deemed acceptance of and agreement to UCSC's Terms to the exclusion of any other terms or other instrument, which are hereby deemed to be material alterations and notice of objection to which is hereby given. In the event of any inconsistency between these Terms and the terms appearing on an agreement signed by an authorized representative of UCSC, the terms appearing on such other agreement shall supersede and take precedence over the inconsistent provision(s) of these Terms, and all other provisions of these Terms shall remain in full force and effect.

    Back to Top
  • UCSC Map

    If unfamiliar with the campus, an interactive map of the UCSC campus is available here.

    Back to Top
  • List of Ship-To Addresses

    Click here for a list of ship-to addresses for campus units.

    Back to Top
There are no results.
University of California
UC Santa Cruz, 1156 High Street, Santa Cruz, Ca 95064
©2020 Regents of the University of California. All Rights Reserved.
Site Feedback