Navigate Up
Sign In
Click to show/hide contact information.


Payroll Coordinator Guide

You can find more information and links to UCPath specific resources through the main Payroll Resources page.
Expand or contract all step headings
increase font size Decrease Font Size
 magnifying glassDelete Circle
  • Introduction

    A Damage Payment is a payment made to an employee who begins work prior to signing the University of California State Oath of Allegiance, Patent Policy, and Patent Acknowledgement form in lieu of regular wages.

    A Damage Payment constitutes settlement of a claim by the employee based upon services rendered prior to signing the State Oath of Allegiance Form.

    Non-US citizens are not required to sign the State Oath of Allegiance, so Damage Payments are not relevant.

    Back to Top
  • Payment Criteria

    The following conditions must be met before a Damage Payment can be processed:

    • The employee entered into University employment in good faith, with no knowledge of the University of California State Oath of Allegiance requirement.
    • The employee would have executed the State Oath of Allegiance, Patent Policy, and Patent Acknowledgement Form prior to commencing University employment had the University advised him or her of the requirement to sign it.
    • The employee signed the State Oath of Allegiance Form upon learning of the requirement.
    • The hire action must be completed in the UCPath online system, even if the employee will do no work beyond the date of the Damage Payment.

    Back to Top
  • Process

    Obtain employee's signature on the University of California State Oath of Allegiance, Patent Policy, and Patent Acknowledgment.

    Update employee hire information in the UCPath online system, including hire date, Position and Job Data and other information, to ensure the PPS payroll system data is consistent with the data provided on the Damage Payment Request form. The hire date should be the same date the Oath is signed.

    Complete the Damage Payment Report and Dame Payment Release forms. The Damage Payment Report includes details regarding why the Oath was not signed prior to the commencement of service, the duration of time the employee worked prior to signing the Oath, an approved and detailed calculation of the payment due to the employee for service and an acknowledgment from the employee stating that he or she understands the terms of payment.

    The divisional or departmental business office will submit all forms and supporting documentation together to Staff Human Resources or Academic Timekeepers, as appropriate.

    Damage Payments that are greater than 120 days must be reviewed and approved by the Chancellor.

    Back to Top
  • Authorization and approvals

    This process requires the following reviews and approvals:

    An employee may not approve his or her own reimbursement or payment request.

    Back to Top
  • Resources

    Back to Top
  • Incorrect Payment Summary

    Incorrect pay is discovered one of four ways:

    1. Payroll Audit of Confirm queries/reports
    2. HR or Divisional audit of time and attendance records
    3. Employee notification
    4. UCPath notification

    Incorrect pay can occur from errors in:

    • Percentage of time on pay status (monthly rated) or hours on pay status (hourly rated)
    • Pay period end date
    • Rate amount
    • Employee ID
    • Time and Attendance
    • Lack of multi-unit coordination
    • Other miscellaneous errors

    For guidance in correcting errors in pay, please contact the Payroll Office staffed through

    Errors in pay that are discovered prior to the confirm for the affected period should be corrected immediately. Contact for pre-confirm support when errors are discovered during "closed" periods of the affected cycle.​

    Back to Top
  • Overpayments

    In an overpayment situation, the method of correction is determined on a case-by-case basis. To begin the overpayment process, please send an e-mail to

    • Subject: Overpayment Last Name PPE
      • Example Subject Line: Overpayment Smith 12345678 4/4/20
    • Body/Text to include:
      • EID and Name
      • Pay cycle / Slices
      • Earn Code
      • Error in pay
      • Reason for overpayment
        • ​Example: Smith, John, 12345678 was overpaid by 12 hours for pay period ending 4/4/20: 4/1/20 - 8hrs, 4/2/20 - 4hrs. The employee reported Leave No Pay but the timesheet was marked DNE.

    The Payroll Office will respond within 24 hours of receiving your email. The Payroll Office will analyze each situation on a case-by-case basis, taking into consideration the concerns and information provided by the timekeeper. The Payroll Office will ultimately decide the method of recovery, based on timing, the unique complexities of each case, etc.; Based on this analysis, the Payroll Office will provide the options for overpayment recovery in the form of the Overpayment Letter to the employee. Detailed instructions will be provided in each letter.

    Overpayments that are the result of monthly arrears time-reporting should be corrected on the employee's next regularly scheduled pay cycle and do not require consultation with the Payroll Office. However, if an amended timesheet is submitted, please consult with the Payroll Office at​.

    OverPayments Under 50%:

    The Payroll Office will prepare and send a letter to the employee containing a billing notice, repayment options, amounts and tax implications and a consent indicator. Once consent has been received, the recovery will be processed through SC.TA.02 Time & Attendance Adjustments or SC.PY.01 One Time Payments. The Payroll Office will require “slices” by day from the timekeeper and will submit these entries via manual I181 or I618 files or via ammended CruzPay records. The Payroll Office will keep timekeepers updated on recovery efforts.

    Overpayments 50% or Greater:

    The Payroll Office will submit a case to UCPath. The UCPath Center will provide a letter containing a billing notice, repayment options, amounts and tax implications and a consent indicator to the Payroll Office which will, in turn, be disbursed to the employee. The Payroll Office is responsible for working with UCPath to process the overpayment. The Payroll Office will keep timekeepers updated on recovery efforts.

    The process ends when the full amount of the overpayment has been recovered and the individual’s earnings records are adjusted accordingly. Please note that overpayments that are not recovered during the tax year in which they occurred, may be subject to modification and net-to-gross recalculation.

    Back to Top
  • Underpayment

    An underpayment is an error in reporting normal, scheduled and approved pay.

    Adjustments that are < (less than) 25% of normal pay:

    • Should be paid on the employee's next regularly scheduled pay cycle.
    • HR Representatives have implied approval to adjust pay via amended timesheet or manual file on the next available published pay-cycle.

    Employees should be notified of any underpayment errors and advised when they will receive the payment.

    Adjustments that are > (greater than) 25% of normal pay:

    HR Representatives should notify the employee and inclue the payroll listserve

    Please include a brief summary of the underpayment (amount, reason, pay period) and the following pay options:

    We can facilitate payment to you by offering you the following scenarios:

    1. Request a Local check be generated for you.*
    2. Request an Off-cycle check be generated for you.++
    3. Allow pay to be added to the next payroll cycle (this could impact your tax deductions).+++

    * Local checks, when ready, are required to be picked-up in person at the Scotts Valley Center. You will need to be prepared to wear PPE and follow all COVID related guidelines for accessing UC buildings. Additionally, as this is a vendor check - no payroll taxes or deductions are taken out. Payroll will determine the percent of your wages that can be paid, holding back funds to cover your individual taxes, deductions, etc. Any balance of your pay will follow on an off-cycle check.

    ++ Off-Cycle checks are created by requesting them from UCPC. The payment will be issued in accordance to your ongoing method either direct deposit or mailed to your address on file. We cannot guarantee what day you will receive your money via UCPath due to timing constraints.

    +++ Adding pay to your next regular pay cycle means: Your pay is taxed on hours reported/paid each pay cycle, which simply means the more you make in a pay cycle, the more tax is taken out. As always, you are taxed according to your W4 allocation.

    Back to Top
  • Permanent Interlocation Transfers

    When an employee transfers without a break in service, for one (1) year or more, from one UC campus to another, the action is termed an Interlocation Transfer.

    OUTGOING interlocation transfers are employees transferring from the Santa Cruz campus to another location.

    INCOMING interlocation transfers are employees transferring to the Santa Cruz campus from another location.

    Before Process Begins

    • The employee has notified SHR or their academic division of their transfer and there is no break in service.
    • During the job offer process and termination process, SHR and Academic Divisions will proactively ask if an employee is planning on transferring to another campus or is originally from another campus.
    • SHR and Academic Divisions will coordinate directly with other locations regarding specific transfer information such as transfer dates, probation status considerations, etc.

    Incoming Transfers

    • A position exists in UCPath and recruitment activities (if applicable) have occurred.
    • Incoming transfers will complete paperwork as applicable (with the exception of the I-9 and oath). Incoming transfers are not eligible for a new PIE.
    • AFor employees who transfer from a PPS location to UCSC, payroll tax and leave balances including sabbatical will be indicated on UFIN301 by the originating location and will be provided when processing the hire in UCPath.

    Outgoing Transfers

    • For outgoing transfers, final pay will be processed on the employees’ regular pay cycle and will not be submitted through SC.PY.03 Final Pay.
    • If an employee is transferring from an accruing position to a non-accruing position, the timekeeper will process any compensatory time (CTO) payout through SC.TA.01 Time & Attendance Processing or vacation payout through SC.PY.03 Final Pay.
    • All overpayments are handled prior to the transfer of the employee. UCSC is responsible for negotiating a repayment schedule, this will be addressed in SC.PY.06 Overpayment Recovery.

    To help ensure that elected deductions are transferred properly, please notify the Payroll office via the listserv of all transfers, both to and from UCSC.

    Back to Top
  • Temporary Appointments (MLA) and One Time Payments

    Multilocation Appointments (MLA): An interlocation transfer is considered temporary when an employee at one location, designated the HOME location, accepts a position at another location, the HOST location, for a period of twelve months or less, with the intention of returning to work for the HOME location at the end of this period.

    One Time Payment (OTP): A one-time intercampus payment is required when an employee at one location (home location) is eligible to receive a payment originating from another location (host location) for an event or service of a short duration. A one-time payment is paid from the Home location.

    Job details for both the MLA and OTP must be approved by both HOME and HOST locations before payment can be submitted.

    UCSC is HOME: a UCSC employee accepts a temporary assignment at another UC location

    • The MLA form (UPAY 560-T) or OTP form (UPAY 644C-T) is completed and approved by the HOST location.
    • If the UCSC Payroll Office receives the MLA or OTP form from the HOST location; it will be routed to the appropriate UCSC HR Office for review and approval.
    • Any necessary adjustments to UCSC appointments are made by the Home Division or SHR.
    • HR Offices approve and route back to Payroll.
    • The Payroll Office will return the fully approved MLA or OTP form to the HOST location for pay processing.

    UCSC is HOST: an employee from another location accepts a temporary assignment at UCSC

    • UCSC Hiring department contacts HOME location to obtain employee data for HOME location portion of the MLA (UPAY 560-T)or OTP form (UPAY 644C-T)
      • This communication also alerts the HOME location to any changes or adjustments that may need to be processed to accommodate the MLA with UCSC.
    • Hiring department completes and approves the MLA or OTP form.
    • Route to UCSC Payroll.
    • The Payroll Office will obtain final approval from the HOME location and return the fully approved MLA or OTP to HR Offices for pay processing.

    Back to Top
  • Campus business policy references

    Back to Top
  • Before you start

    The information in this guide provides payroll policy and procedures to follow when an employee is separating from University employment.

    • A separation action occurs when an employee separates from University employment.
    • The separation process is determined by the type of employee who is separating.
    • When an employee is discharged or resigns, the separating employee is paid for time worked and accrued vacation.

    Back to Top
  • Policy and Background

    There are two types of separation: voluntary and involuntary.

    A voluntary separation from employment is:

    • retirement
    • the end of a limited-contract appointment, in which the end date of employment is established during the initial hire action.
    • employee elected separation, with notice.

    An involuntary separation from employment can be, but is not limited to, the following:

    • Employee resigns/quits without notice (less than 72 hours)
    • Employee is discharged

    When an unrepresented employee voluntarily separates from employment, the employee's final pay will be processed in the employee's next available regularly scheduled payroll cycle.

    Represented employees that voluntarily separate from employment will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and will be paid in accordance with mandates set forth in each union contract, giving due consideration to payroll deadlines and policy.

    Involuntary separations will be addressed as set forth in the California Labor Code Assembly Bill 2410: final pay for separating employees is due and payable immediately and is subject to the 72-hour rule when separation is involuntary.

    Back to Top
  • Categories of Separating Employees

    The final pay policy to pay final wages/hours on the employee's regular payroll cycle applies to unrepresented employees who voluntarily separate from University employment and includes:

    • Employees who quit career positions to accept per diem positions.
    • Employees who resign prior to their appointment end date (early resignations).
    • Employees who are retiring.
    • Employees whose contract has expired.

    The final pay policy to pay via Off-Cycle Pay processing applies to represented employees with contracts that define the terms of separation pay and employees who involuntarily* separate from University employment, including:

    • Dismissals
    • Layoffs
    • Employees who are receiving settlement or severance payments (*can be voluntary or involuntary).

    The final pay policy does not apply to employees who are transferring to other UC campus locations without a break in service. Please refer to the Interlocation Transfer Guide for more information about employees who are transferring to other UC locations.

    The final pay policy does not apply to expiring Academic or Student appointments, including appointees who leave campus prior to their appointment end date.

    The final pay policy does not apply to payments made upon death of a University employee. Refer to the Accounting Manual P-196-25 Payroll: Employee Death Payments for more information about the policy and procedures relating to payments made upon the death of a University employee.

    Back to Top
  • Employees Separating from UC with Repayment Terms

    Some employees are awarded incentives such as Faculty Recruitment Allowances, Moving Expenses and Recruitment bonuses. Many of these incentives include a repayment agreement stipulating repayment of some, or all, of the incentive if the terms of the agreement are not met.

    When an employee is awarded an incentive payment, please notify the Payroll Office at The email notification should include:

    • Employee Name
    • UCPath ID
    • Award type and amount
    • Date of payment
    • The signed repayment agreement (if applicable)

    Similarly, when an employee is separating, please notify the Payroll Office at The email notification should include:

    • Employee Name
    • UCPath ID
    • Empl Record
    • Date of Separation from UC
    • Separation Reason
    • Pay Due (yes or no)
    • Terminal Vacation (yes or no)

    This notification will trigger a Payroll review of repayable amounts that may be owed back to UCSC, including any outstanding overpayments. The Payroll Office will respond within 4 hours to provide instructions on any outstanding balances owed. This reply will include the amount due, employee communications/agreements needed and instructions for collecting balances due from final pay, when appropriate. The Payroll Office will work directly with the employee to obtain authorization to recover balances due from final pay and advise HR on the recovery method and amount. Please do not process final pay to the employee prior to receiving a response from the Payroll Office.

    Employees who do not agree to have balances due collected from final pay and/or those who do not have sufficient final pay to collect the entire balance due, will be required to submit payment to the UC Regents within 30 days of separation from UC.

    Back to Top
  • Resources

    The policies that apply to this campus business procedure include:

    The method for processing separation actions is determined according to individual employee reason, circumstance, and timing.

    Back to Top
  • Pay Cycle Conversion
    Effective Date: When an employee transitions from one pay cycle to the other, the effective date of the new pay cycle needs to align with the start of the quadriweekly benefits billing cycle.
    • Example: “Benefits Holiday” Twice a year, the “Benefits Holiday” provides a range of dates in which a biweekly employee can be transitioned to the monthly pay cycle.
      • A biweekly employee transitioning in the month of April 2020 can start in the monthly pay cycle effective 4/5/20 or 4/19/20.
      • A monthly employee transitioning to biweekly in the month of April should have a start date of 4/19/20.
    • Example: An employee transitioning in the month of May 2020 should start in the new pay cycle effective 5/17/20. This ensures that benefits collection for both pay cycles is complete for the month of May and the employee will start out a new month of benefit billing in their new pay cycle.
    • Example: An employee transitioning in the month of June 2020 should start in the new pay cycle effective of 6/14/20.

    System Update: To prevent missed pay resulting from “Top of Stack” issues in the UCPath system, updates to Job Data should be made after time has been confirmed in UCPath for the employee’s final pay in the “old” pay cycle. Please notify of this action so that edits can be made to assign the correct new pay cycle to the employee’s local/general deductions.

    • Example: April 2020:
      • Monthly start date of 4/5/20: update Job 4/9/20-4/17/20 3pm. The employee’s first monthly payday will be 5/1/20 – no benefits should be collected.
      • Monthly start date of 4/19/20: update Job 4/23/20 4/27/20-5/1/20 3pm. The employees first monthly pay day will be 6/1/20 – loaded retro should generate for 4/19/20-4/30/20.
      • Biweekly start date of 4/19/20: update Job 4/27/20-5/1/20 3pm. The employee’s first biweekly payday will be 5/27/20.

    Please contact the Payroll Office at if you need assistance in determining a transition date or action plan for your pay cycle conversion case.

    Back to Top
There are no results.
University of California
UC Santa Cruz, 1156 High Street, Santa Cruz, Ca 95064
©2022 Regents of the University of California. All Rights Reserved.
Site Feedback