Navigate Up
Sign In
Click to show/hide contact information.


How To Buy Guide

The information in this guide pertains to the ​m​​ost commonly purchased goods and services. Review the quote and bidding requirements first for any of the goods and services identified in this guide.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Expand or contract all step headings
increase font size Decrease Font Size
 magnifying glassDelete Circle
Bus Charter Services
Business Cards, Stationery Products, and Copy Services
Cellular Telephones and Services
Gift Cards
Goods/Services From A University Employee
Hazardous Material
Hire A Performing Artist
Off-Campus Storage
Office Furniture
Online Training and Development
Vehicle Rental
Security Services
Services From An Independent Contractor
  • Before You Start

    Departments must hire pre-approved carriers to provide transportation services for UCSC-sponsored activities. This policy is in place to ensure the safety of University students, employees and affiliates.

    Back to Top
  • Determining Which Bus Charter to Hire

    Choose a bus charter service from the UCSC List of Pre-Approved Bus Charter Services. If the bus needs to carry more than 21 passengers, or if more than one bus is required, the Buyer will ensure additional insurance limits are carried by the bus company.
    See UCSC Risk Services, Outside Contractors, Vendors, Consultants. The UC Office of the President has published Minimum Insurance Requirements for Contractors/External Users that can also be referenced.

    Obtain a quote from the selected service provider. Contact Procurement Services before contacting any bus chartering service not on the pre-approved list.

    Transportation services provided by UCSC TAPS do not require a CruzBuy Purchase Order. Requesting departments can work directly with TAPS. See Shuttle Vehicle & Driver Reservation Information.

    Bus and Driver Reservation Form.

    Back to Top
  • Submitting a CruzBuy Requisition

    Complete a Vehicle Rental/Charter Form in CruzBu​y attaching the service quote and submit the requisition.

    For more details on ordering, see: CruzBuy User Manual

    Back to Top
  • Adding a Bus Charter Service Provider to the UCSC Pre-Approved List

    Provide a Transportation_Charter_Application Packet which includes an informational letter, insurance requirements, and an application form.

    Bus charter service providers are required to submit:

    • Transportaion Charter Application two-page application form
    • Current PUC Certificate
    • Conforming certificate of insurance with specific amounts of general liability insurance naming the UC Regents as additional insured
    • Payee 204 Form

    Back to Top
  • Before You Start

    UCSC business cards, stationery products, and copy services are obtained from the UCSC Copy Center. UCSC Copy Center is the designated printer of UC Santa Cruz campus business cards and stationery products such as letterhead and envelopes. Do not use a Pro-Card to purchase business cards and stationery products from other suppliers. Authorized department representatives may order online and recharge to departmental FOAPALs. No CruzBuy requisition is required to be submitted when ordering through the Copy Center.

    UCSC Copy Center is our designated printer to ensure:

    • Business cards and stationery products are only printed for official campus staff
    • Correct artwork and layouts are used
    • Compliance with the UCSC identity standards
    • The business cards and/or stationery products include only authorized information

    Back to Top
  • Copy Center Capabilities and Offerings

    UCSC Copy Center offers black and white or color copies, in addition to the following services:

    • Business cards
    • Envelopes
    • Fliers
    • Handouts
    • NCR ("carbon copy") forms
    • Binding, Cutting, and Laminating
    • Faxing

    Back to Top
  • Copy Center Contact Information

    The UCSC Copy Center is located in Jack Baskin Engineering, room 25. The Copy Center e-mail address is, and can be reached by phone at (831) 459-3888, or by fax at (831) 502-7190

    Back to Top
  • Before You Start

    Departments must hire pre-approved caterers to provide catering services to UCSC-sponsored events, or to bring a caterer to campus for food resale on campus. This policy is in place to ensure the safety of University employees and guests and to reduce risk to the University.

    Follow the steps in this section to provide catering services for University-sponsored events or to bring a caterer to campus to provide food for resale on campus.

    Back to Top
  • Determining Whether Catering Services Are Required

    The first step in the catering process is determining whether or not catering services are actually necessary for the event that is being planned

    • ​Caterers prepare and deliver food for University events. Food ordered and picked up is not considered catering.
    • When students or staff order food for non-University administered functions and pay with personal funds, these guidelines do not apply.
    • If food is to be served at University-administered functions and/or are paid for with University funds, these standard catering procedures must be followed, as the food is being delivered.

    Back to Top
  • Select and Contact Caterer

    Back to Top
  • Adding a New Caterer to the UCSC Approved Caterers List

    UCSC Employees are only authorized to request the services of caterers that are on the Approved Caterers List. All caterers must first be willing to accept a UCSC Purchase Order in order to do business with UCSC. Confirm that any new caterer will accept a Purchase Order before doing business with them or attempting to add them to the Approved Caterers List.

    Follow the steps below to add a new caterer to the list.

    1. UCSC employee (sponsor) sends the UCSC New Caterer Application to the proposed catering supplier. The application includes an informational letter, health certificate and insurance requirements and a request for additional information, as well as a caterer certification.
      • Off-campus caterers are required to submit:
        • An application
        • A current county health permit copy
        • A current certificate of insurance with coverage as specified in Caterer Application form.
    2. The new caterer then sends all completed documents listed above back to the UCSC sponsor who initiates the process of adding the supplier to the Approved Caterer list.
    3. The UCSC sponsor then creates a CruzBuy requisition using the Food & Entertainment form, and attaches all of the supplier's paperwork.
    4. Procurement Services will contact the supplier, examine all necessary documents, and will request that the new caterer fill out a Payee 204 Form form so that the supplier can be added to the supplier database.
    5. If the supplier meets all requirements, they will be approved and added to the Approved Caterers List.
    6. Once the requisition becomes a Purchase Order, the UC Sponsor can coordinate with the caterer to complete the delivery of food.

    Back to Top
  • Initiate a Requisition

    If the desired supplier is on the UCSC List of Approved Caterers​, complete a CruzBuy requisition using a Food & Entertainment form in CruzBuy.

    If the desired supplier is not on the UCSC List of Approved Caterers​, they must be added before UCSC can do business with them. See: Adding a New Caterer to the UCSC Approved Caterers List.

    Back to Top
  • Overview

    ​This page provides policies and procedures for University purchase of cellular phones and cellular service. Supplier Contact Information is also listed below.

    Policy: UCOP BFB G46: Guidelines for the Purchase and Use of Cellular Phones and Other Portable Electronic Resources

    Click here for supplier Contact Information.

    Back to Top
  • Procedure for Purchasing New UCSC Cell Phone Service

    When determining service needs, consider the following questions:

    • Where is cellular access needed?
    • Why are cellular calls being made or recieved?
    • What features are required with the cellular phone?
    • Why is digital needed versus analog?
    • How often is the phone going to be used?
    • From what area code will calls be initiated and received?​

    Back to Top
  • Choosing a Cellular Service Provider

    Compare services offered by providers, considering features as you choose a plan that matches your calling patterns:

    • Length of service term: Most plans have a one-year minimum, with steep early-termination penalties if you want to switch or end services before your contract expires. For example, iPhone (AT&T only service provider) has a minimum two-year contract.
    • Free minutes: Evening or weekend calls may be free, but are only useful if you need evening and weekend calling. Avoid marketing hype for freebies.
    • Rate for "peak" calling and service "home" area for your calls: Consider roaming charges before you pick a service plan. Note that pricing is based on the state of origin.

    Select cell phone(s) from a provider who offers University pricing to obtain the best pricing and equipment deals. View device pricing and rates for local suppliers using the links below:


    AT&T: Case-sensitive login: ucscview Password: ucscview
    This is a view-only login, so orders can not accidentally be placed.
    After login, choose "Create a new billing account" to view pricing. Note expiration dates as "Current Offers" deals are typically available for a limited time.

    Note: Your browser cookies may need to be cleared if you use the site multiple times.

    Premier Site Help Desk: 800-845-9681, opt1.


    Sprint/Nextel: Click "Corporate Paid" to view prices available for UCSC business-use phones; employees may view prices and purchase personal phone service by clickin​g "Individual Paid"; (Pay for non-business services with personal funds or personal credit cards only.)


    Verizon: California Wireless Contract, see: Verizon Equipment Matrix.

    Prior to placing an order with Verizon, you will need to obtain a quote. Send all Verizon quote requests to the following e-mail address: NASPO Account Support at:

    Include the following information in your e-mail for a quote request:
    Subject Line of Email: Special Request: NASPO CA UCSC Quote Request

    If a RUSH is needed, indicate “RUSH” in Subject line, and in the Body of the email.

    In the Body of the Email include the following information to ensure a timely response:

    1. Current Mobile Number, or whether this is a new mobile line
    2. Current Account Number, or whether a New Account Number is needed
    3. Equipment description (include full name of device ie: iphone 5c space gray 16 gb): Clarify memory size and color choice if applicable
    4. Any Accessories that are required
    5. Calling plan to use:
      • Zero Consumption Plan: 85191-NASPO ST OF CA - NATIONWIDE FLAT RATE
      • Unlimited Voice Plan: 85192 - NASPO ST OF CA - NATIONWIDE TALK
      • Jetpack/Mifi/Unlimited Mobile Broadband Plan: Unlimited Mobile Broadband 3G/4G Data Plan (84356)
    6. Tax Rate to Use: 8.75%
    7. Other Features to Add:
      • 75439 - Unlimited Text Messaging
      • 73419 - Unlimited Email & Data (for all smartphones)
      • 73702 Mobile Broadband Connect Feature for Smartphones (mobile hotspot/mifi)
      • PTT (73869 Basic/75470 BB/81301 Smartphone)

    Reference the NASPO contract #7-10-70-16 and the UCSC profile ID #634552 in all communications.

    When submitting the CruzBuy requisition, create a line for the equipment and a separate line for the services. Also attach the quote received from the contact as an internal attachment to the CruzBuy requisition.

    Back to Top
  • Requesting a Contract Agreement

    ​Use the Services form in CruzBuy to make an initial request to document the contract agreement using a purchase order.

    • Enter one line item for the devices and accessories; include model numbers.
    • Enter one line item for service. Specify the following details:
      • Name of the service calling plan
      • Date the plan is to be activated
      • Area code for the phone(s)
      • Specify the number of months of service in the Quantity field, choose months (MON) as the Unit of Measure and provide the monthly dollar amount expected to be spent for the service in the Price Estimate field. OR Specify the expected cost for a single month of service and then pay subsequent monthly fees using a Pro-Card
    • Note: Monthly cell phone service fees may be paid with a Pro-Card only after the initial contract has been generated using a Purchase Order.
    • Note: Equipment typically arrives on campus 3-5 days after an order is placed.

    Back to Top
  • Additional Billing Instructions

    ​Monthly cell phone service fees may be paid with a Pro-Card only after the initial contract has been generated using a Purchase Order.

    After the first month of service, follow the directions below depending on the wireless carrier. It is the responsibility of the department individual using the equipment, and the individual whose name is on the Pro-Card, to call the carrier's customer service and make these arrangements, or cancel any special arrangements previously made.

    The Procurement Services Buyer will not be responsible for making any special billing arrangements and/or cancellations associated with Pro-Card payments.

    • AT&T Wireless: A Pro-Card can be used to set up monthly service payments by calling AT&T Wireless National Business Services at 800-999-5445. Your Account and cell phone number, along with your pro-card information will be required in order to set up automatic payments.
    • Verizon: A Pro-Card can be used to set up monthly service payments by calling customer service at 800-922-0204. You will need your Verizon account number, cell phone number, and Pro-Card information in order to set up auto bill pay and/or make a one-time payment.
    • Sprint: A Pro-Card can be used to set up monthly service payments by calling Sprint customer finance at 800-927-2199. You will need your Sprint account number and the cell phone number, and pro-card information in order to set up auto pay.

    Back to Top
  • Procedure for changing an existing UCSC cell phone service contract

    ​Complete a Change Order Request in CruzBuy. Specify the existing Purchase Order (PO) number and explain what changes need to be made. Provide specific service calling plan information. See How to Submit a Change Order Request in CruzBuy.

    Back to Top
  • Procedure for Terminating a UCSC Cell Phone Service Contract

    ​Contact the supplier contact listed below to request the cancellation of the service contract. The supplier contact will provide the steps required for contract termination.

    Back to Top
  • Supplier Contact Information
    ​Supplier ​Contact ​Email Address ​Phone Number
    ​AT&T Mobility ​Customer Service - use as primary
    point of contact
    ​The corporate ID or FAN is 4879014. Please have
    this handy when calling.
    AT&T Mobility Steven Lawless 559-274-8893
    ​Sprint/Nextel Adam Mapar 408-373-8670
    ​Verizon Christine Lu 415-264-3833

    Back to Top
  • How to Purchase Gift Cards in CruzBuy

    Gift cards used as non-cash employee awards or non-cash gifts to non-employees must be purchased by initiating a purchase requisition through the National Gift Card punch-out in CruzBuy.

    Gift cards are not allowed for the following uses:

    • Taxable awards
      • Employee length of service or retirement awards in excess of $400.
      • Employee recognition, spot awards or prizes in excess of $75.
      • Non-Employee appreciation, recognition or incentive gift of $600 or more.
    • Gift cards used as honoraria payments.
    • Used by departments as an "alternative" purchasing method that bypasses policy.

    Gift Cards for Faculty/Staff: Presentation of gift cards to faculty/staff must be in compliance with UCSC Financial Affairs Non-Cash Employee Award and Other Gifts Guide. When completing the CruzBuy requisition, you must include the following information with CruzBuy “Internal Notes and Attachments” to support the gift:

    1. The name of the recipient receiving the gift,
    2. The reason for the gift,
    3. The email approval from the department head with officially delegated authority approving the payment of the gift-related expense. Attach the approval to the internal notes section of the CruzBuy requisition.

    Gift cards for a Non-Employee: A gift of moderate value made on behalf of the University may be presented to an individual who is not a University employee or to an organization, if the following criteria are met and in compliance with Non-Employee Non-Cash Gifts Guide:

    • The gift benefits the University,
    • Is in furtherance of a University business purpose,
    • And is clearly necessary to the University’s fulfillment of its role as a good community citizen.

    National Gift Card offers a variety of gift cards from many different suppliers, such as Amazon, Home Depot, and Safeway. To purchase a gift card, log in to CruzBuy, navigate to the “Miscellaneous” section, and click on the National Gift Card Icon.

    To Note:

    • Shipping is 2-5 days.
    • Do not combine orders from National Gift Card with other CruzBuy supplier requests within same cart.

    Important reminder: Gift card orders require an approval email from your department head approving the payment of the gift‐related expense. This department head approval must be attached to the CruzBuy requisition.

    Back to Top
  • National Gift Card (NGC) Frequently Asked Questions

    NGC Contact Information

    Orders: Cindy McCauley 888.472.8747
    Customer Service: Danielle Peckham 888.472.8747

    What shipping methods do you offer?

    • We offer various shipping options through our strategic partnership with FedEx. Shipping options include:
      • Standard ground (3-5 business days)
      • Second day Delivery
      • Overnight Shipping
    • Shipping Rates – Federal Express
      • Standard Ground Shipping $7.95
      • 2 Day Shipping $9.95
      • Overnight Delivery $14.95

    I just placed a Gift Card order, when is it going to ship?

    • We process orders upon receipt of PO. Please allow three (3) business days for your order to ship from our facility and up to four (4) business days during our Holiday Season (October 15 – January 15). All orders are processed during our regular business hours, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. CST to 5:00 p.m. CST. If you placed your order after 1:00 p.m. CST, it will be processed the next business day.

    What if I need my order by a specific date?

    • Please plan accordingly to allow NGC our standard processing time of 72 business hours. We are recognized for our rapid turnaround times but it can take up to three (3) business days for your order to ship from our facility and up to four (4) business days during the Holiday Season (October 15-January 15).

    What is the difference between eGift Cards and Gift Cards?

    • eGift Cards are sent via email so they can be printed out and distributed accordingly. Gift Cards are sent via mail in form of physical plastic cards or paper certificates and will incur a shipping charge.

    Can I modify or cancel my order after I submitted it?

    • No. Please make your selections carefully as all transactions are final. eGift Cards cannot be returned or replaced. If you need special assistance with an order email us at:

    What is your return policy?

    • Because gift cards are cash equivalents, ALL SALES ARE FINAL AND RETURNS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.

    Will I receive active Gift Cards?

    • All Gift Cards will be active upon receipt.

    How do I Retrieve my eGift Card Order:

    • Our eCode Management System (EMS) is designed to make your eCode order delivery process secure and convenient to use.
    • With our EMS you can check your order status, download your available eCode order files at any time, keep track of your eCode order file downloads, and run eCode order reports.
    • Here is how NGC’s EMS works:
      • Place your eCode order through the CruzBuy NGC Punch-out
      • Once the order has been placed, you will receive an email (from with a link to activate your EMS account.
      • An NGC representative will contact you with a PIN number to activate your account. If you have received your welcome email and are ready to activate your account, but have not yet been given your PIN, please contact us at (888)472-8747 and we will provide it to you immediately.
        • Please note – orders cannot be processed until after your account is activated.
      • Order is processed and you will receive your order within 72 hours. You will receive email notifications with your eCode order statuses: Posted, Pending and Ready
      • Once you receive the email notifying you that your order is ‘Ready’ for download, go to the secure portal
      • Login with your EMS Username and Password
      • Go to the order you are looking for and download the file. You can search by eCode order number or PO number
      • For your own protection, save your eCode order file as a password protected file
    • Within the file there will be a column for the Retailers, a column for the Denominations, a column for the URL, and for certain eCodes there will be a column that has a PIN/Challenge Key.
    • The URL is what you will distribute to the recipients. The recipients will then click on the link and it will open up to the landing page of the merchant. From there, the end recipient can redeem online or print and use at a retail location.
    • The only information that needs to be send to the recipients are the URL and the Secret Code/Challenge Key (IF provided). The Pin number is already embedded into the URL and they do not need to send this again.

    What if someone loses the eGift Card?

    • An eGift Card has cash value and should be safeguarded as such. If you misplace your eGift Card, you can reprint it if you bookmarked it in your browser or click on the URL in the original email. Per retailer policies on eGift Cards, eGift cards cannot be exchanged or returned.

    Do eGift Card recipients need a special printer?

    • Most standard office and home printers are equipped to print eGift Cards. Some printers produce great results, and older printers sometimes don't print certain images well, but the most important thing is that the code number below the eGift Card is clear.

    Do eGift Card recipients need to print in color?

    • They do not need to print in color.

    Expiration Date

    • eGift Cards do not expire.

    Will I receive active Gift Cards?

    • All Gift Cards will be active upon receipt.

    What if I want to purchase a gift card somewhere else?

    • Please contact a Procurement Services Buyer or the helpdesk if you want purchase gift cards through a different supplier.

    Back to Top
  • Before You Start

    Employee-Vendor Purchase Transactions and Conflict of Interest

    University of California conflict of interest rules and state law generally prohibit a University employee from providing goods or services to the University as an independent contractor or participating in decisions in which they have a disqualifying financial interest.

    UC strives to avoid employee-vendor relationships both to comply with the law and to prevent the appearance of favoritism. If a potential employee-vendor relationship exists, you must disclose it in advance to UCSC Procurement Services.

    Back to Top
  • What is an Employee-Vendor Relationship?

    ​An employee-vendor relationship is a relationship between a UCSC employee and a proposed vendor that might create a conflict of interest. An employee-vendor relationship exists when:

    • An employee proposes to rent, sell, or provide goods or services to the University.
    • An employee owns or controls more than 10% interest in the vendor who proposes to rent, sell, or provide goods or services to the University.
    • A former employee proposes to rent, sell or provide goods or services to the University.
    • A near relative of an employee currently provides, or is being proposed to provide, goods or services to the University.
    • A near relative of an employee owns or controls more than 10% interest in the vendor who currently provides, or is being proposed to supply, goods or services to the University.

    Back to Top
  • Employee-Vendor Transactions

    ​Purchasing goods or services from UC employees is generally prohibited under California law unless the procurement falls within an allowable exception.

    • A department may purchase goods or services from UC students or employees with teaching or research responsibilities only if the goods or services cannot be obtained within the university or from an independent commercial source.
    • No purchase of goods or services may be made from a UC employee with teaching or research responsibilities before review and approval of the transaction by Procurement Services.
    • Requesting units must complete the Employee-Vendor Disclosure Form and submit it to the Business Contracts office before making any commitment to purchase goods or services from a UC employee.
      • Note: Employee-Vendor Disclosure Forms submitted after the goods or services have been received by the University will require the grant of an exception by the campus Conflict of Interest Coordinator.

    Back to Top
  • Near Relative Transactions

    ​Potential employee-vendor relationships resulting from the purchase of goods or services from the near relatives of UC employees must be disclosed in advance. An analysis of the relationship may result in approval if, and only if, the UC employee has not influenced, participated or is involved in any way in the University's decision to purchase from an employee's near relative.

    • No purchase of goods or services may be made from the near-relative of a UC employee before review and approval of the transaction by the Procurement Services Director.
    • Requesting units must complete the Employee-Vendor Disclosure Form and submit it to the Business Contracts office before making any commitment to purchase goods or services from a UC employee.
      • Note: Employee-Vendor Disclosure Forms submitted after the goods or services have been received by the University will require the grant of an exception by the campus Conflict of Interest Coordinator.
    • Note: Near relatives are as follows: Spouse, domestic partner, child, parent, sibling, including step-relatives and in-laws in the same relationship to a UC employee.

    Back to Top
  • Contact

    Please contact the ​Business Contracts office.

    Back to Top
  • Overview

    This guide describes methods to be used to safely and effectively order hazardous materials in the most timely manner.

    Blanket orders and standing orders are not allowed for hazardous materials.

    Back to Top
  • DEA Controlled Substance

    1. Requester must either have authorization as Principal Investigator (PI) or obtain authorization from Department Chair or PI before placing a requision for DEA Controlled Substances.
    2. Submit order in CruzBuy using the DEA Controlled Substances form.
    3. When order arrives on campus, requester must pick up and sign for controlled substance at the PBSci Stockroom (Thimann Receiving).
    4. Requester must store all controlled substances in a designated secure location (for example a locked cabinet) and must maintain a log of all controlled substances received and any usage of controlled substances.
    5. Disposal of unused controlled substances must be handled by PI, in coordination with Environmental Health & Safety.

    Back to Top
  • Radioactive and Rad Minor

    Submit all requisitions for Radioactive and Rad Minor in CruzBuy using a catalog, a punchout or the Radioactive Materials form. Blanket orders and standing orders are not allowed for radioactive materials.

    When a rad or rad minor order arrives on campus, EH&S picks up the materials at the PBSci Stockroom (Thimann Receiving) and delivers the order to the requester.

    Lab Personnel - Requester

    • Sign receipt provided by EH&S Staff.
    • Review received material.
    • Store material in an authorized secure location.
    • File and/or post rad inventory sheet.
    • Survey empty box to ensure no contamination and deface all "Radioactive" labels and marking before disposal as non-radioactive trash.
    • Survey empty box to ensure no contamination and deface all "Radioactive" labels and marking before disposal as non-radioactive trash.
    • Maintain inventory and review inventory quarterly.
    • Remove radioactive material from laboratory using established radioactive material disposal procedures or transfers.

    Back to Top
  • Toxic Substance

    Submit all requisitions for toxic substances in CruzBuy using a catalog, a punchout, or the Hazardous Materials form (with Toxin checked). Blanket orders and standing orders are not allowed.

    Submit all requisitions for iodine in CruzBuy using a catalog, a punchout, or the Hazardous Materials form (with Toxin checked).

    Back to Top
  • Select Agent

    Submit all requisitions for select agents in CruzBuy using a catalog, a punchout, or the Hazardous Materials form (with Select Agent checked). Blanket orders and standing orders are not allowed.

    Obtain and attach approval from EH&S and the Institutional Biosafety Committee before submitting the requisition. Select Agent orders will not be processed without prior approval from EH&S and the Institutional Biosafety Committee.

    Back to Top
  • Ethyl Alcohol

    ​Submit all requisitions for ethyl alcohol in CruzBuy using a catalog, a punchout, or the Hazardous Materials form or Chemical and Biological Reagents form (with Toxin checked).

    Back to Top
  • How to Hire Academic Speakers, Performing Artists, and Workshop Instructors

    To pay honoraria to academic speakers and other speakers making presentations for classes, see the Financial Affairs Honorarium Payment Guide. The Direct Pay and Payee Setup 204 will be required in this process.

    Back to Top
  • Paying for Hotels

    The following university payment methods may be used to secure hotel stays. Contact or 459-2311 with any questions:

    Credit Card (Personal and/or Corporate Cards)

    If the occupant is paying for accommodations using their personal or corporate credit card, a TAR form is not required. The traveller must advise the hotel that the occupant is affiliated with, and conducting official business on behalf of UCSC in order to establish the best UCSC rate possible.

    Travel Advance Request (Individual or Group Reservations under $5000)

    A fully completed UCSC Travel Advance Request (TAR) form with tier 2 authorization must be submitted by the requesting department to the FAST/AP office in order to obtain a UCSC trip number, which is required prior to invoicing transient sleeping room accommodations from a hotel. The UCSC FAST/AP office will assign an eight (8) character trip number (ex. V0126783) and advise the requesting department of that number. The trip number is UCSC'S and the hotel suppliers guarantee that the invoice will be paid within the established terms that, must be referenced on all invoices specific to the accommodations. The TAR form noting the assigned UCSC trip number will be faxed or emailed by the FAST/AP Office to the hotel after the reservations are made. Any questions regarding the TAR form or assigned trip number should be directed to your FAST/AP Contact. A personal credit card of the hotel occupant is required at the time of check in to cover all incidental charges.

    Purchase Orders (Conference Events)

    Purchase orders must be used if UCSC is hosting a conference event at the hotel which may include sleeping rooms, event room rental, AV equipment, or food and beverage expenses. In these situations, the hotel normally has an agreement to confirm terms and conditions associated with the event. Create a CruzBuy requisition using the Food and Entertainment form if food is being purchased, or a Services form if food is not being purchased, and attach the unsigned agreement. A Purchase Order will be sent to the hotel, along with the signed agreement to contract for the event once reviewed.

    Purchase Orders (Group Reservations of $5,000 or more)

    Purchase orders must be used for group reservations of room and tax only when the reservation exceeds $5,000 or more, and the hotel agrees to accept a Purchase Order with a direct billing arrangement. In these situations the hotel normally has an agreement to confirm terms and conditions associated with the group stay. The department must create a CruzBuy requisition using the Services form, and attach the unsigned agreement to the requisition. A Purchase Order will be sent to the hotel, along with the signed agreement to contract for the stay. A personal or corporate liability credit card (Corporate Travel & entertainment Card) of the hotel room occupant is required at the time of check in to cover all incidental charges.

    The following apply to all hotels regardless of location:

    1. Any hotel reserved under an existing UC-negotiated contract, whether it is via Connexxus, existing direct bill contract, or existing PO, may be purchased with a CTE card and does not need to go through Procurement. Hotel room rates must comply with UCSC's existing travel policy of $275 per night or less. Travelers staying at a hotel with a UCSC direct bill arrangement may elect to present a CTE card, or a TAR# instead of the CTE card, but not both.
    2. Any group reservation estimated to total less than $5,000 at a hotel that is not under an existing UC-negotiated contract, may be purchased with a CTE card and does not need to be routed through Procurement.
    3. Any group reservation estimated to exceed $5,000 at a hotel that is not under an existing UC-negotiated contract, must be routed through Procurement for price negotiation and follow the PO process. This request must be made in advance of travel in order to be processed correctly.
    4. Any hotel requiring a signature on behalf of the University of California, for any of the scenarios above , must be routed to Procurement (Business Contracts) for signature. Travelers can sign on behalf of themselves but cannot sign on behalf of the University.

    Back to Top
  • Hotels in the Santa Cruz Area

    University departments inquiring about availability or making reservations should identify themselves as a UCSC employee or an affiliate conducting official business on behalf of the university, in order to secure available negotiated UCSC rates. You will need to specify the length of the stay, arrival and departure, the number of rooms, names of the business guests, and the relationship of the guests to the university. Be sure to provide the hotel with the name and e-mail address for the expense authorizer in your department.

    Discounted rates are for UCSC business purposes only. Group and conference rates are obtained by requesting a proposal directly from the hotel event coordinator. Discounted university rates are not calculated by online reservation tools, therefore, departments placing room night reservations should contact the hotel for the most accurate rates and availability information.

    Local Hotel Information

    Conference Events (Method of Payment through Purchase Orders)
    Booking a conference event at a hotel requires a purchase order, which includes guest rooms and the event room rental. Additional expenses such as AV equipment, food and beverages may also be included in the purchase order.

    To place bulk room orders, obtain a quote from your desired hotel and attach it to the hotel agreement and CruzBuy requisition via the Services form. Contact or 459-2311 with any questions.

    Individual Room Reservations (Method of Payment Through Reimbursement or Direct Billing)
    See Ways to Pay for more information.

    Back to Top
  • Moving - New Hire Relocation Suppliers

    UCOP Contract Suppliers:

    Supplier Contact Phone Alternate Phone Email
    Allied Van Lines Stephan Glaab (310) 285-5230 x1112 (800) 999-2487
    Mayflower / Olsen & Fielding
    Moving Services
    Rose Olsen (916) 239-6409
    North American Van Lines Marabel Mendoza (800) 231-4765
    United Van Lines Heidi Halliday-Clarke (888) 615-4574 (602) 586-3260

    Best Practice:

    The New Hire must contact the supplier directly to make arrangements for a quote. The University will accept one quote, but two quotes are highly recommended to determine the most cost effective mover, and ascertain the most efficient supplier. Once quotes have been received, the New Hire will forward the quotes to their department contact advising them of which supplier they have selected. The department will then submit a CruzBuy Purchase Requisition using the Services Form and attach all quotes received. The Buyer will process a Purchase Order to the moving supplier.

    Non-Contract Supplier Process:

    The New Hire may also make arrangements with a non-contracted moving company, but New Hire must pay the full invoice amount, submit for reimbursement up to the moving allowance authorized by the department to FAST/AP office using a Moving Relocation Reimbursement form.

    More information regarding the Relocation Policy may be found in the Relocation & Moving Guide

    For further Policy Questions:

    Back to Top
  • Moving Services - Local Suppliers

    Departments must hire UCSC pre-approved movers to provide services to UCSC. This page provides instructions and a list of movers.

    Determine whether Campus Moving Services can accommodate your move. If Campus Moving Services (9-2852) is unable to accommodate your department’s requirements, please plan your move with one of the approved moving service providers below.

    Please contact your Procurement Services team for any moves estimated at more than $10,000.

    Mover ​Types of Moves ​Move Locations ​Additional Info
    ​UCSC Movers
    Robert Kemp
    ​Small Moves
    Large Moves
    Lab Moves
    ​Santa Cruz County
    Santa Clara County
    Campus Moving Services Overview
    ​Lambert & Son Moving
    Bill Lambert
    311 Nevada Street
    Santa Cruz, CA
    821-423-6111 (fax)
    ​Local Moves ​Santa Cruz County
    ​Liebbrandt Transportation
    Saha Manzella
    223 Surfside Ave
    Santa Cruz, CA
    cell: 831-359-6290
    ​Moves Within California ​Santa Cruz County
    Santa Clara County
    Monterey County
    Locatelli Moving and Storage
    Anne Asche
    831-425-0827 (fax)
    ​Small Moves
    Large Moves
    Lab Moves
    ​Santa Cruz County
    Monterey County
    Santa Clara County
    ​Nor-Cal Moving Services
    John Zamecki
    408-497-3676 Cell
    510-957-0365 (fax)
    ​Small Moves
    Large Moves
    Modular Panel Installation
    Lab Moves
    ​Santa Cruz County
    Santa Clara County
    Monterey County (Additional travel time of 1 hour per person included)
    Back to Top
  • Overview

    ​UCSC Purchasing has negotiated a contract with Statewide Self-Storage for providing off-campus storage units. Statewide Self-Storage operates one location in Santa Cruz County.

    The University has a corporate agreement with Statewide Self-Storage which establishes rental terms and conditions, including receiving a discount off list price.

    Back to Top
  • Procedure

    ​Follow the steps below to acquire off campus storage.

    1. Contact the Statewide Self-Storage Manager at 831-427-9700. He will assist you in determining the size of the unit which will best meet your needs.
    2. The Statewide Self-Storage Manager will provide you with a unit # and the price for your space, and will also place that unit on hold pending the issuance of the Purchase Order #.
    3. Create a CruzBuy Purchase Order, using the Services form. Note the size, unit # and monthly rent/price of the unit. Please include the names of others who need to be allowed access to your storage unit and names of person(s) authorized to request a lock cut (in the event that your key is lost or misplaced).

    If Statewide Self-Storage is unable to meet your requirements, contact Procurement and Business Contracts for assistance locating and negotiating an agreement with a suitable company. All rental agreements must be reviewed and authorized by Procurement and Business Contracts.

    Do Not Sign The Contract: Storage contracts frequently contain financial risk provisions exceeding the University's insurance program.

    Contact or 459-2311 with any questions.

    Back to Top
  • Overview

    ​There are three ways to order and obtain information about PBI/Steelcase furniture.

    1. The PBI/Steelcase punchout catalog in CruzBuy makes it possible for you to place your own order, convert quotes to orders, or seek status of a placed order.
    2. The fastest way to order furniture, when you know what you need, is to call Steelcase's UC Furniture Call Center at 1-877-722-9090. They offer a single point of contact to answer your furniture, design, installation, project management and reconfiguration questions. The Call Center staff can create a quote that applies the UCSC discount. The quote can then be converted, by the shopper, to a purchase request in CruzBuy.
    3. UCSC's PBI Account Executive, Janine Faylor, can be contacted at 1-831-757-4107, ext. 224. (
      Note: If a site visit is needed, a design fee of 2% of the product's list price will be applied to the order. If questions can be answered by phone, no design fee is charged.

    Back to Top
  • Physical Planning and Construction Review

    All purchases and installation of modular, systems or workstation furniture must be managed by PP&C to ensure ADA compliance, and seismic bracing and building code compliance. (This does not include free-standing furniture, desks, chairs and file cabinets.) Modular, systems, or workstation furniture includes panels that create cubicles, and may also create passageways, etc. These fabric panels may modify the original layout of the room being furnished, and create building code concerns for accessibility, and seismic and fire safety.

    Submit a Work Request Form explaining the scope of the work to be done. Email the Work Order Desk or call 831-459-4444 for more information.

    Back to Top
  • Space Planning Services and Design Charges

    Space Planning Services: Peninsula Business Interiors (PBI) Provides the following services:

    • space planning
    • product search and specifying
    • color and fabric selections
    • project management
    • expediting

    Design Charges: Charges for design work are incorporated into the contract plan at 2% of product list price. This percentage fee covers:

    • up to two different design alternatives and
    • up to two major (requiring new drawings) revisions

    After that, additional design work is charged at $65.00/hr. A purchase order for the designed product must be issued within 120 days of the design or the design work will be invoiced separately.

    Note: Orders for free-standing furniture where design services are not required are not charged the additional 2% design fee.

    Back to Top
  • How To Pay For Online Training and Development

    There are three ways to pay for online training and development services, including webinars, virtual classrooms, and eLearning services.

    1. CruzBuy PO: Submit a requisition utilizing the CruzBuy Service Form.
    2. Pro-Card: See the topic “Using a Pro-Card” under the “Cardholder Information” heading.
    3. Direct Payment: Submit a Direct Payment Form.

    Back to Top
  • Overview

    This guide covers the necessary steps to rent vehicles ​for university business. Vehicles may be rented from UCSC Fleet Services or from various UC approved rental companies.

    Back to Top
  • Fleet Services

    ​UCSC Fleet Services maintains a pool of sedans and vans available for your department needs on a daily or monthly basis. For assistance call Fleet Services at 459-2228

    Back to Top
  • UC Vehicle Rental Contracts

    ​UC maintains agreements with vehicle rental companies including Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, National and Thrifty. These agreements can be accessed for travel-related requirements using the University of California Travel Program Connexxus as described in the UCSC employee Travel Guide. Travelers who book rental cars outside of the Connexxus Travel Portal will not be able to leverage the UC rates. Contact for more information about rental cars for UC travel.

    Non-travel vehicle rentals with UC contract and non-contract providers are initiated using the Vehicle Rental/Charter form in CruzBuy as described in the CruzBuy User Guide.

    Restrictions on 15-Passenger Vans:
    UC Employees and students are restricted from renting 15-passenger vans from rental car agencies for business or class activities due to safety concerns. This is due to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) determination that 15 passenger vans are unsafe in certain circumstances and more testing and studies are required.

    Back to Top
  • How To Buy Security Services

    Only approved Security Operators are authorized to perform security services at UCSC, both on campus and at leased or rented facilities.

    Approved Security Operators have agreed to provide their guards with State, Federal and UC mandated training, and have provided the University with a valid certificate of insurance with the appropriate coverages as required by the University.

    The list of UCSC Approved Security Operators can be found below.

    If you have a need to hire a Security firm to provide security services, contact one of the Approved Security Operators for a quote. Attach the quote to a CruzBuy services requisition detailing the dates, times and need for the security service. Procurement Services will advise the UCSC Police Department of the requirement and seek their approval for the transaction. UCSC PD may contact you for more information or offer PD services as an alternative. Once approval is given by UCSC PD, the PO will be processed and you will contact the Operator to confirm service.

    Security Services Supplier: Contact: Phone Number: Email:
    First Alarm Security & Patrol Shea Ackerly 831-685-1110 x2235
    National Security Michael Gerami 408-371-6505
    Panther Security Tina Garcia
    Hector Martinez

    Back to Top
  • Overview
    The services of an independent contractor can only be used once approval has been obtained by Accounting Services via the Independent Contractor Request Docusign form for both new requests and change orders.​

    Back to Top
  • Determining the Business Relationship

    Assembly Bill No. 5 requires the application of the "ABC" test to determine if workers in California are an independent contractor or an employee for most occupations. Under the ABC test, a worker is considered an employee and not an independent contractor, unless the hiring entity satisfies all three parts of the ABC test.

    This Independent Contractor Request DocuSign form is designed to assist the requesting department in making the determination as to whether the individual is an employee or an independent contractor, subject to the approval of Accounting Services.

    To request use of an independent contractor, complete all blank fields on the DocuSign form. Once completed, sign, and click "Finish". The form will then be automatically routed to Accounting Services for review. If Accounting Services approves the use of an independent contractor, the form will be signed and you will receive an email notification stating your document has been completed. Click on the "View completed document" link within the email and save a PDF of the completed form. Create a requisition in CruzBuy and ensure to attach the PDF of the completed form when submitting.

    IMPORTANT NOTE: If Accounting Services determines that an individual does not meet the qualification standards to be treated as an independent contractor, a requisition should not be submitted. If this occurs, contact your HR department if you are interested in hiring the person as an employee. Please also note that approval must be attained via the DocuSign form for all requisitions being submitted (both new requests and change orders).

    Contact Accounting Services, at, for further guidance.​

    Back to Top
  • Methods For Purchase

    ​Click here for a full list of Methods For Purchase for all types of expense.

    Back to Top
  • Commodities and Associated CruzBuy Forms

    ​This page lists the appropriate CruzBuy Form to request specific commodities when the item of service is not available through a CruzBuy catalog.

    Back to Top
There are no results.
University of California
UC Santa Cruz, 1156 High Street, Santa Cruz, Ca 95064
©2021 Regents of the University of California. All Rights Reserved.
Site Feedback